Chum spawner in Roberts Creek (Fall, 2020)
Photo Credit: Larry Reid
Stewardship Centre of British Columbia (Green Shores Project to protect natural shorelines for ocean and fresh water as follows:)
“How does Green Shores benefit property owners and land managers?
- By increasing accessibility of shorelines, eliminating drop-offs and walls, and creating opportunities for strolling, kayaking, foraging and similar beach enjoyment.
- By beautifying shorelines, adding native vegetation, and habitat for fish and wildlife.
- By making shorelines more secure against erosion and flooding.
- By offering financial benefits such as technical assistance, reduced permit fees, and tax incentives.
- How does Green Shores benefit the environment?
- By preserving and restoring physical processes: the natural movement of water and sediment that maintain healthy shorelines.
- By preserving and enhancing shoreline habitat for both plant and animal communities, and biodiversity.
- By preventing or reducing pollution of the aquatic environment.
- By reducing cumulative impacts: the small individual effects that add up to large impacts on shoreline environments.” – Stewardship Centre of BC